Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 8 January 22 Friday Hance Rapids

Hiking the Escalante Route.
Tomorrow we’ll be on the Tonto East Trail. Heading West. 
Tonight, camped at the base of Red Canyon.
Being outside, especially for an extended amount of time, breaks me down, then builds me backup again. Today, one week into this thing, and I feel stronger – my muscles more toned, my feet more sturdy. And yet, part of me is softer. My heart, my soul, my being is more relaxed, more settled, more content. Even if I feel a little cold, and wet, and rainy, I am slowly coming back to me. Like my good friend Lisa put it, “Everyday, I am feeling more alive.”


Being present in the moment. Hearing the roar of the rapids on the river, fills my head, sinks into my skin, and takes root. Even the dull, steady sprinkling of rain is apart of me – THIS IS ME. I am the Earth, the Earth is I, we are one in the same. It is I. I am all around. Being whittled down to nothing only to be planted, watered, and grown again, with sun and nourishment from this Holy Canyon Country. I am loosing sense of time. The days defined only by our rituals of morning meals, daily hikes, and evening nesting. I am loosing sense of time, but not of space. I am loosing sense of time, but not of me. Slowly surrendering to being totally and completely part of the group. Slowly melding, meshing, and melting, we become one. One song, one breath, one heart beat. We walk as one. We discover as one, through eight pairs of eyes – We see differently, think differently and will be blown in different directions by the natural force of the wind – but we are all seeds. Seeds from this great tree of life, with different paths, different currents, we may drift to all corners of the Earth, ready to sprout anew, and grow our own tree of life.

No comments: