Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 14 Thursday January 28 Layover Day at Boulder Canyon

Wilderness.  Wild
Wild like New York City. La. Tokyo. Paris. San Paulo. Mumbai.
Wilderness. Wild.
Wild like the rough rocks of the Grand Canyon. The Peaks of the Himalayas. The Pacific Ocean. The Outback of Australia.
Wilderness. Wild.
Thoughts in my head run like mustangs through synapses and circuits.


Surrounded by beauty in its natural form and fart jokes in their crudest of terms – I am faced with the ultimate question – What am I doing here?

Buddha became enlightened beneath a tree, next to a river.
I wonder if I could so the same under a cactus beside a creek…?



Tik Tik-tik Tik Tik Tik-tik-tik
Rain again, yet this time softer,
warmer, a little more friendly
Green eyes stare at me from
under the midd
Green eyes of the budding grass and
            seedlings sprouting from all the moisture
One drop at a time lingers on the
            edge of the nylon
Slipping off, it falls and seeps into
            the ground, soaked
Laughter comes from the kitchen area
            low voices from the tent behind
            soft breathing and the occasional
            page turning from the sleeping bag
            next to me
What a glorious life we live
Each mind for itself
Each heart open wide
Every soul as one
Join hands and raise your
            heads –
Let’s howl at the moon
            in raucous, joyous wonder


PM After dinner…
Mac and cheese, around the fire after the desert rain storm. Earlier I got the hair-brained idea to go for a swim and persuaded Jane to come with me. We both stripped and waded, naked, into the frigid water. Splashing my face and back, dunking my hair I finally submerged myself. Nose plugged, eyes squeezed shut, breath held, I let the water wash over me.
Screaming with delight and gasping for air I waded to the surface and hopped to the rock. Giggling we stood there, not shivering. The air felt warm and almost balmy. I said, “I’m going in again, once more for good measure – round two ­­– this one’s for my dad!” Holding my breath, I dunked.
Getting out and drying off – just then it started to drizzle and then pour! What an experience! My hair feels like hair and I feel like a whole new woman!


No comments: