Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009 - 2010

How do I even begin to describe this past year? For fear of falling flat, let me keep it simple. Thinking back on this past year, quite frankly makes me sort of depressed. I really hate re-hashing stuff until it turns into mush, I’d rather go read a book.

So, without further a-do, I will not bore myself (or you) with the retelling of my less-than-lyrical life, and will only share with you a short synopsis of what I have learned this past year, that may or may not inspire you.

As the calendar year draws to a close, and the transitions between nights and days get shorter, then longer again, and the sun just isn’t as warm as it was, I reflect on Matters Of Importance.

Top 10 things I learned this year about life, sweaters, and policemen:

10. RELAX! (No one looks pretty when they’re stressed)
9. I’m learning to do things for ME, because I want/need them, not because anybody said they were good or bad for me. (Not in a selfish way, just in an I’m-going-to-do-this-for-me-not-you way).
8. No matter what anybody tells you, crying will not get you out of a speeding ticket. (It didn’t get me out of one, it didn’t get me out of two…)
7. Surrender! (Sometimes there’s just nothing you can do, so stop pushing!)
6. It’s okay to make mistakes. (I like being right, but sometimes I’m wrong…)
5. Growing up is about taking responsibility for your own decisions. (You can’t blame your life on anybody else… Well, you can, but…)
4. Turtlenecks are bad. (I don’t care if you look damn good in a turtleneck – I loath them!)
3. Saying “No” is something of an art form. (It takes skill, craft, diligence, and courage)
2. Let the past be in the past. (You look pretty funny dragging that heavy load of skeletons around with you)
1. Trust your instincts. (There’s simply no other way)

That being said, I could pile on a whole lot more of things I’ve learned, and am still trying to learning, like that parents will be parents and you can’t change them. Or I could share with you, my newfound love for Bollywood movies. But let me sum up with this: I prefer spinach salad over French fries (call me a freak, I don’t care). I’m a sucker for a man that knows how to dance (especially if they’re wearing a scarf, the right way…), and I now know why people detest law enforcement officers, (“Officer, would you please allow me to explain myself…?” “License and registration.”)

As someone wrote earlier, it’s a New Year – time for new ideas, new aspirations, and new beginnings. This is a time to tell your minds that the slate is clear. Now go, tell someone you love them, do it quick, do it NOW!

I love you.


I love you. 

I love you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your list. Esp. number four " I loath them" ; Hilarious. And I would have to agree with you. Im so glad 2009 is out the door and we finally get to start fresh. Happy New Year Shinay -fin

J.D.
www.writerontheverge.com

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!