Thursday, October 1, 2009

Discovering A Whole New World.com

Discovering A Whole New World.

So, apparently, there is a whole new virtual reality on the internet.
(New in the most adjective of terms.)
Okay, okay, of course we all “knew” that there was a whole other world on the net, but I didn’t really KNOW that.
I mean I just spent the last two hours (two hours of my life) that I could be doing something WAY more useful, but no, I spent the last hundred and twenty minutes on my computer delving in a world previously so unfamiliar to me.
I feel so sheltered.

Let’s call it Social Networking. I’d call it, “avoiding reality.” Wow, what a trip. Some people lead totally different lives on their computers. I mean, hell, dream what you will, but living a double life, is like playing God. Okay, maybe not that extreme but still… One life here, in this body, and one with a skinner version of you out in cyber space, maybe with the same name, (maybe different) doing things that you’d always wished you could do. Well why not go out there and DO them? What’s REALLY stopping these people? Is it fear? Is it a physical handicap? You tell me. I just don’t see the point. Call me old school, call me a hippie but I’d rather hug the apricot tree in my back yard, than build an orchard in my virtual reality on the internet.

I prefer to travel. It gives me the freedom to be whom I want, within the limitation of this body. I meet people in much the same way. We have something in common. Either you search for them via social networks on the worldwide web – right click “food and wine.” Or you’re stuck with them on an eight-hour flight to Rio de Janeiro. Whichever way, you have something in common and chances are, the one you’re sitting next to in economy class is much more real than username WiNeLoVeR whom you get to chat up everyday on your lunch break. Discussing the latest reds you’re coveting or that new pinot you’re dying to try. Give me a grimy old fart who snores or a crying baby – at least they’re tangible.

Having given out my e-mail address about a dozen and half times; typing in my name and my country of origin at least that many, I am satisfied in saying I still don’t have any new friend requests, or new comments. Guess that means I have to “update my profile…” Sky Harbor International Airport, here I come. Make room for this hunk of living breathing flash, because I’ve had enough of cyber space to last a while. I want HUMAN to HUMAN contact. I want to touch that person I’m talking to. I want to hold them so tight that neither of us can take a breath.

Conclusion:
I’ll leave social networking to those who have that kind of time on their hands. You know who you are. But me, I’d prefer to look into the eyes of those I talk to – seeing the laughter, the joy, the pain the tender soul qualities each of us poses, and no, not through a web cam, either.

No comments: