Friday, October 2, 2009

Limitless

I am standing in the middle of a circular room, the foyer to a dozen doors.
Each heavy rectangle has been flung wide open.
And behind every one, a different scene, season, sensation.
Bright, island sunshine converges with frigid, arctic winds.
Spring tulips amidst the desert sand.
The vast ocean stretches out before Mt. Everest.
The Eiffel tower marks the entrance to the Amazon.
I could run and hide, but where, under a doormat?
I could choose to fear what lies behind each door.
Instead, I stand with arms stretched open.
Stripped of everything familiar and comfortable I surround myself with what I do know – the embrace of someone who cares and a home cooked meal shared by all who love.
Naked, I embrace it all because I have no other choice.
If nothing else, even if I find myself totally alone, at least I know that their affection will carry over the continents, even into outer space.
Turning, spinning, head thrust back, heart lifted to the sky, arms spread like wings. I twirl.
Perhaps if my feet move fast enough I will lift off the ground and into the expanse that is this world.
After all the sky’s the limit, or is it…?

No comments: