Thursday, September 17, 2009

What is it that makes you, you?

What is it that makes us tick?
I wake for the sunshine.
I wake for the promise of movement in each day.
I wake for the connections I will create.
I wake for the ones I love.

What is it that makes us shrink?
I avoid the dampness of disillusion.
I avoid the heat of confrontation.
I avoid the conflicts of telling someone no.
I avoid the inevitable – change.

What is it that makes us hum?
I sing for the blues skies.
I sing for the green-eyed cat, purring beside me.
I sing for the little boy upstairs.
I sing for turning of the leaves.

What is it that makes us smile?
I laugh for joy of today.
I laugh for the humor of my father.
I laugh for the brightness in their eyes.
I laugh for the friendship created.

What is it that makes us weep?
I cry for chances lost.
I cry for those whom have gone.
I cry for fear and frustration.
I cry for release of pure emotion.

What is it that makes us believe?
I trust because I have no other choice.
I trust because it brings me comfort.
I trust because I know I can.
I trust because I am.

What is it that makes you, you?
I live for the joie de vivre.
I dance to make me smile.
I smile because I can.
And I don’t believe there’s anything I cannot do.

1 comment:

Nomad said...

i like this!!! very nice writing :)