Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thank you, Rain

Most people in the world close their windows when it starts to rain, not me – I open them wide and let the cool air touch the corners of my house and heart.
I am not afraid of thunder – I like to be out in it.
Dark clouds roll in over the horizon and my fingers tingle – the sun still shines and becomes brighter with every patch of blue sky wrapped with grey.
I am a desert rat through and through.
That smell, oh that smell of dry dirt and concrete pelted with fresh rain – it’s late June in the desert and I open my eyes and arms and soul to the greatness that is water.
Seeping from the atmosphere – there is nothing greater than this.
There is nothing more worth celebrating than that which provides such nourishment for all.
I want to be out in it, dancing, singing, laughing – this is a blessing of the greatest kind.
Rain in the desert – I will not shut you out.
With my windows wide, we embrace, the desert rain and I.

No comments: