Saturday, February 19, 2011

Day 3. India

On the streets of India. We took the scooters to a near by temple and parked across the street. (Crossing the streets in India is an adventure in and of itself). We dodged motors bikes, bicycles, cars, and other pedestrians, all in one piece. Leaving our shoes at the shoes stand outside I walked barefoot into the temple. The stones were hot under my feet and my tender skin burned. It felt good though, like a little reminder of being alive. Fallowing Emmanuelle, I bent down and touched the entrance stone with my right hand, then placing my fingers on my chest in an offering of gratitude. We walked around the grounds, quietly watching as others sat, chanted or ate snacks-it's the only place one can hang out without being asked to leave. We neared a shrine to the Gods of the nine planets. (Yes, there are still nine, and yes Pluto does count and probably always will). Walking counter clockwise around the shrine until the attendant motioned for me to come closer. "Stand here" his motions said and I stood as he waved a flame first in front of the statue, then in front of us. Waving his hand I walked a little closer and he gestured for me to put out my hand. Smearing ash of the fourth finger of my right hand, he indicated silently that I should rub it on my forehead. I dabbed the ash as he suggested, then he spoke. "Nine" he said. Meaning for us to walk nine times around the shrine. We did this in silence as others fallowed suit. What a glorious culture, steeped in tradition and reverence. Devotion is everywhere and people know how to pray. For what is more important than a life of Devotion? Answer me this: What would you rather do with this life, than seek the Divine? She may show up in different forms, in different ways, with different faces, yet you will know her when she speaks the Truth, calling your name from the mountain tops

No comments: