Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Something To Remember: Back To Basics

Here are a few wise words from my mother that helped me through today:
“Sometimes life is hard.
And sometimes it isn't fair.
But all in all you are held in the hands of the Divine Goddess.”

Thank you mom.

Now I’ll continue those wise words and tell you what I learned today:
Sometimes we have to go back to the basics in order to move forward, upward, onward to harder, more challenging endeavors
This morning for example, I went to a yoga basics class but I was really resisting because I was afraid it wouldn’t be challenging enough
I really wanted to sweat, you know?
Upon arriving to class I was instantly glad I went
I knew that I could make the class as difficult or as easy as I wanted
So, during class I focused on my core
I strengthened my insides
Being a smaller class, little cues and more one-on-one attention was given to each yogi
I was sweating within thirteen minutes, and enjoying the challenge I put forth for myself
Lying in Shavasana, at the end, I was really glad I decided to go to class
Feeling fulfilled and heroic
Returning to the basics only helped to solidify my understanding of the purpose and principles, both in yoga and in my own life

I’ll suggest it to anyone:
Get some finger paints
Find an easy reader, put down the philosophy
Simply take a minute and revel in the abundant life you live, because if you’re reading this, you have a computer and that makes you one hell of a privileged person, so enjoy that
Create space in your life for simplicity, it’s not boring, it’s a clearing out and starting anew
Smile at the sunshine
Rejoice in the rain
Remember to be kind to yourself
Remember that it’s not about how much you sweat or how sore you are after class that made it successful
It’s about how much you allowed yourself to grow, and how much you brought forth in recognizing that all ventures are learning experiences, no matter how simple or complex

No comments: