Sunday, March 1, 2009

So, I took my alter-ego out to lunch

Yesterday I did something I’ve never done before. I took myself out to lunch, armed only with my notebook and pen. It was fantastic. I’ve always felt sorry for those “lonely souls” out to lunch all by them selves. I’ve always found eating out to be a group (or at least a duet) activity, never a solitary endeavor. Sure, people do it all the time and love, it. My mom always tells me she loves it, did I believe her, of course not, she’s my mother! But even so, I just never saw myself being that type of person. I was always in the mindset of, if you’re going to eat alone, you might as well do it at home – boy, ways I wrong. (That’s funny, it’s sort of a relief to know that I’m wrong, it’s almost better then being right, and shit, I like being right!)

I procrastinated for about an hour, testing my fear, to see if the conquest was worth it. Yup, I was scared. Scared of what? Of being judged by people like myself, before the incident, I suppose. Now I can officially say I’ve crossed the unseen line of “being alone” (ooh boogie, boogie scary) and “being alone” (fact of life and part of growing up). It’s a nice feeling.

I enjoyed eating out alone, so much in fact, I want to try and make it a regular date with my alter ego. It’s different than coffee and a croissant, which if you felt the slightest bit of discomfort, you could take it and leave, or shove it every so daintily into your maw. No, this is a commitment to a meal, which should last at least 30 minutes to allow for proper digestion, but could take hours, if you’ve got the time and the intent. It’s an occasion to taste, savor, relish, write (if you like, read if you like) and just enjoy every moment of being alone with people to serve you AND do the dishes for you! Wow, doesn’t that sound nice, now where is my cleaning fairy…? (Have to get on her, man…) People watching and eaves dropping are taken to a whole new level when you’ve got no one chatting your ear off, or wanting you to divulge.

One might even find that they are not entirely alone. I just happened to be sitting next to a pair of animated talkers, and almost felt included into their conversation. Also, I started to notice that I was not alone in the “eating out alone department” either. And not only was he good looking, he looked way more awkward then I felt, so there’s that too…

And the best part was, the waiter took me seriously. Yes, that’s my “looking young, female, and blonde” complex talking, but still, it was brilliant.

No comments: