Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A short STORY

When I was working down town a few nights ago, a boy and his mother came into the store. From the get-go she was on his case about not touching anything! I was nonplused because I could care less if he massed up a display, at lease it would give me something to do. Bored out of my mind I was merely fussing with the paper towels and Windex when he walks up to me and says, “Excuse me Sir, will you please turn out the lights?” HA! That ripped me to a double. I nearly peed myself. Somewhat shocked but still smiling broadly I had to answer him quite frankly, “No, I’m sorry I cannot.” Of course his mother was appalled and fled the store immediately, nearly pushing him out the door in front of her. I was stunned and didn’t know what to think more odd, the fact that he thought I was a boy on account of my short-ish hair, even though I was wearing bright red lipstick and a dress, or that he wanted to turn out the lights… Maybe he was colored blind and had a glow-in-the-dark alien he wanted to locate?

No comments: