Monday, June 17, 2013

For God and Myself


I’m talking about blood,
It runs through all of us.
I’m talking about hate,
We’ve all felt that grip.
I’m talking about the adoration we feel
For something much more expansive than ourselves,
Be it the ocean, the mountains, or those tiny, newborn fingers that curl around ours.
Have you felt that?

I’m talking about not mutilating ourselves with objects or thoughts,
That’s unproductive.
I’m talking about stopping the hate,
That double-edged sward cuts deep and I don’t like how it feels.
I’m talking about carefully crafting my life
So that my actions and my words
Reflect the brilliance of this existence.

I’d like to hear you say you’ll stop hurting yourself.
I’d like to see you be kind.
I’d like to feel you wrap your arms around me every once in a while,
Nussle into my hair,
And tell me that you love me and you’ll never leave.
Oh God, don’t disappear.
Oh Shi-nay, don’t disappear.

No comments: