Thursday, November 4, 2010

Turning 23

My birthday is in eight days
Therefore I’m thinking about age–
Whatever that means
One year closer to
death
One year closer to
wisdom
Ancestry
Heritage
Remembrance
Honoring the past
Looking at the future
Moving forward
Nostalgia is for the weak of heart

I was born at the beginning of time
Long hair flying, feet encircled with bells
Fire burned, and I awoke
Into a life, celebrated
Good magic happened that day on the mountain
It rained–to purify
The rivers overflowed and I drank
From the crown of Vishnu

I look into the mirror
I look death in the face and laugh
I don’t know who I’m becoming
Who are you
I ask
Who are you
My world has been derailed
My existence is being warped
I look into the mirror and my
mother stares back into my eyes
I like what I see
I laugh when people ask me what I want to be
when I grow up–
I’m not ever growing up

I was born of this earth
I have her skin–
Salty as the ocean
I have her mouth–
Hungry for truth
I have her eyes–­
Seeing the beauty within each of you
I have her temper­–
Like a hurricane I dance upon the heads of the damned
Singing the songs of the wind
I bathe in sunshine
Who’s that knocking at my door

It’s stagnant as a question
It’s sharp as a knife
Doubt
What do you do when someone else
is living the life you’ve always dreamed about
What do I do when they’re living my life
How come I can’t just be happy
How come I have to judge and compare
myself to everything and everyone
I’m not as tough as I say I am
I cry too often
I miss him
I want to know God
I want to know myself

Birth is to come into the light
To breath of this air–
Lungs turning blue in the hands of my father
Cradled in safety
Encircled with warmth
Birth is to detach–
Eventually standing alone
Dancing this flavor of existence
With age
I am capable 

No comments: