Friday, August 21, 2009

This Morning

As I waited to turn right onto the highway this morning,
I watched the passengers of cars in transit.
With the sun in their eyes, most squinted, some scowled.

Observing these unsuspecting individuals,
glimpsing scraps of their everyday lives,
I felt a combination of ordinary and special.

To knew I was not alone on this planet.
No matter what we say, we cannot live without the company of others.
And yet, we pride ourselves on denying it.

I like to think I’m independent,
but when push comes to shove,
I always get home sick when I’m half way around the world.

Even as I get older, I don’t feel like I’m growing up.
Seeing these faces pass me by, on the road,
I felt odd, as if I were eves dropping on humanity.

There’s no edit button on life.
cntl. alt. delete does not exist.
This is it, as it is, here and now.

With the sun shining on our faces,
we wait, I wait, I wait
for traffic to change, so that I may merge.

I’m impatient,
I take a chance, and as the cars thin,
I gun the engine and take off.

No comments: