Sunday, February 22, 2009

cell phone paradox

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Yesterday I left my cell phone at home.
Accidentally.
For the first ten minutes, I felt nothing but anxiety and worry, “What if someone has en emergency, and the need me?!” But after that – totally freedom. (They’ll call the police if they have an emergency).
I recommend it for anyone who is game.
No one knew where I was, but no one needed to either.
I could do whatever I wanted for however long it took me.
There were no restrictions whatsoever.

Normally, my ears are always strained to try and catch my level three ring-tone.
On most days, I am always on edge, just waiting for that call that will change my life. (Well, okay that happened once but they left a message and I called them back, and everything worked out).
Usually I feel this sort of obligation to answer my phone no matter what.
Scenario: I’m having this really great conversation with a good friend, I hear my phone ring, “…Uh, hold a sec, let me see who this is...” or, every ten minutes we pull out our phones, just to make sure we didn’t miss a text or call.
What a shame.
Technology is getting in the way of normal, real, human interactions. (My opinion).

Let it be.
I’m leaving my cell at home from now on.
If you need to reach me, leave a message and I’ll check it when I get back.
That’s what used to happen, and landlines never killed anyone.

No comments: