Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Hey, Hey It's Alright

I am a child of the sun
A woman of the East where the light comes from
A daughter of Demeter

As the winter sets in
I long for that train headed south
I want to jump the tracks and hop one of those old cars
See where that chug-a-lug takes me

I suck the last drops of summer from a honey stick
Thinking how nice it would be to hibernate for the next three – or five months
I struggle to see the beauty through the brunt of the cold

My cheeks sting with the wind and thoughts of popsicles and cut-offs creep into my mind
There’s an internal war going on inside me –
Between wanting, needing, and shoulds, woulds and coulds

Too much time spent indoors with my own thoughts is not a good thing
Some may argue, but with the way I think, it’s just too much
How about throwing me a bone or giving me a helmet – life’s hard you know?
I need something I can sink my teeth into

Winter don’t take no vacation
So I do what I can
Give me a piƱa colada with a straw and a fur parka – I’ll make it work

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Daughter of mine,
Having grown up in the northeast, I can't imagine what it is like to be a desert child. (Even though you've lived most your life in the high desert.)

Thank you for your willingness TO make it work in Flagstaff.

I love you forever!