Saturday, September 20, 2008

How Do You Play?

Sitting here, with my mother, I think about what she asked me a few weeks ago. It was the question, “How do you play?”

At that moment in time I found it extremely difficult to answer her question. How DO I play, I wondered? Am I really that out of touch with childish amusement? Have a lost my ability to play altogether. Or is it just hard to find that sweet surrender when I am not around children?

Sure, each of us can let loose when we’re WITH kids – making mud pies, playing spies, or building sand mermaids. But can we find it in ourselves to enjoy, I mean really play, when that innocent influence is NOT near by? How can we continue to cultivate that feeling of childish inhibition and enthusiasm when we are alone or even with our peers.

When I thought about it and finally sorted my thoughts, I realized that I really DON’T play. Not that I didn’t know how, but just that I had not taken the time to play in that lovable way. That’s when I also decided that that would need to change.

I started that very day by buying some sparkly, gold eye shadow and wearing it everyday, even to work. Then, that weekend, I played “Dinosaurs” with my neighbor. She’s 26. I also drew some pictures. With finger paint.

Each day I try and find some way to play – to do something for fun, not just in earnest.

At any age, I pose to you this question: How do YOU play? What makes you smile and enjoy and feel completely at home in your skin?

Thanks Mom, for reminding me to play.

No comments: